I'm a mostly self-taught knitter. Sure, my mom taught me the basics of casting on, knitting, and making one. Notice how I didn't say purling (or binding off for that matter). Yeah, my very first lesson (that's right lesson, not project) was making a lace hat. I've always been a bit over ambitious.

Because of my ambitious nature, I set out to learn everything I can about knitting. I love learning new techniques, tips, tricks - you name it, I want to learn it. I watch a lot (and I mean a lot) of YouTube videos. One of my favorite YouTubers is verypinkknits. Staci's videos are clear, concise and full of excellent information. So I find myself tuning in to her videos pretty often, even if I can't use the technique she's demonstrating on my current project.

Right now, I'm working on two Featherweight Cardigans. One for me and one for my mom. Yes, the knitter mentioned above. Talk about nerve-wracking! Knitting for another knitter is a lot like writing a song for a musician or painting a picture for an artist. There are subtleties that no one else would notice. Anyway, I want the sweater to be flawless, but working on two of the same thing at the same time is a bit...boring. Especially when it's practically all stockinette. I Love (with a capital L) knitting, but even I find that a little tedious.

As luck would have it, Staci recently posted a video on backwards, or mirror, knitting. She claims at the beginning of the video that I can do away with purling. I, being the overly optimistic gal that I am, was immediately skeptical.  But, I continued on with the video, hoping that she knew what she was talking about. Well, she did. It's awesome. I'm still working out the kinks, but I may never purl another row.

And because I like you folks so much, here's her video. It'll change the way you knit. You're welcome.



Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jenn Pfeiffer 2012-2013. Powered by Blogger.
______________