I finished my mom's Featherweight Cardigan last week, but haven't posted yet because it's her Christmas gift. As excited as I am, I really didn't want to ruin the surprise. I'm giving it to her today, so I can finally show you all the finished result. I took these pictures last week when I finished it because I was so darn excited. So, it's a bit big on me because, well, it's not for me. Forgive the fit, please.



For background, my mom is a knitter. A good one, at that. She mostly knits small projects - hats, socks,  baby sweaters, the occasional shawl and once she knit a really awesome coat. I think she's more of a product knitter than a process knitter. She likes the finished objects, but doesn't love the process as much as the end result. I love both - equally. I find something really calming, yet exciting about watching something grow stitch by stitch. And, of course, I love wearing my finished creations.



Over the summer, I knit a Featherweight Cardigan for myself and my mom fell in love with it. She decided she wanted to knit one, too. I offered to help her get started - figuring out the size, gauge, yarn, etc. The more we talked about it, the more she realized that it would take her almost a year to finish it with her current schedule and projects. She still wanted to make it, but she wanted to wear it more. I did the only thing I could think of and I offered to knit it for her.


I took my time - casting on at the end of September and finishing it the first week of December. It's a lot of stockinette, in lace weight. I knew I would get bored, so I interspersed other projects here and there.

I, again, opted for long sleeves and more length in the body. I did a ribbed hem and cuffs this time, but I did the feather and fan collar, just like before. I have to say, I love my mom's featherweight more than the one I knit for myself. I hope she loves it as much as I do. If nothing else, she knows how much love went in to every stitch and that alone makes it worth it for me.

Yarn is Madelinetosh Tosh Lace in Cousteau. My mom and I loved my Honey Cowl in Cousteau so much, that we knew it was the perfect color for the sweater. I used a size 5 needle and a size 6 for the bind-offs. As a side note, this yarn is ridiculously hard to photograph. It's a beautiful deep blue-y green, but it gets a weird cast in the photos, regardless of the light.

I used the following pattern for the feather and fan collar - feel free to use it too!
Multiple of 18 stitches
knit in stockinette for 1/2 inch
Row 1 (RS): Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: *k2tog (3 times), yo k1 (6 times), k2tog (3 times)*, repeat from *
Row 4: Purl

Repeat rows 1-4 six times, work 2 more rows in stockinette and bind off loosely.


2 Comments

  1. I love the collar - that's a lot of work, but so beautiful. It's the kind of thing you can only get from a knitter that really loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the mod you made for the collar! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jenn Pfeiffer 2012-2013. Powered by Blogger.
______________