I finished my Rocky Coast Cardigan! I knit it as a part of the 2 Knit Chicks Kardigan knit-a-long on Ravelry. I also made it in just enough time to qualify for the MadForMeSAL (in the MadTosh Lovers group). It's my third entry into that particular stitch-a-long (in 6 weeks). I also knit my Cladonia and a quick hat. Apparently I've been knitting in my sleep because, in that time frame, I've also finished my husband's birthday socks and a scarf for my sister-in-law, and I've been working on a test knit and a gift for a friend.


It is such a triumph to finish this in less than a month, despite all of the set-backs I've had. First there was the yarn saga, then I wasn't happy with the fit and needed to frog it. I am happy to say that even through all of that, I am thrilled with this project and would happily knit another one some day. And now that I've learned how to cable without a cable needle, I'm not even scared of the all-over cables.


Without giving away too much information about the pattern, I followed the stitch counts for the 55" size, but followed the schematic for the 40" size. I'm a 34" size typically, but this pattern calls for 4-6" of positive ease. I generally wear my sweaters with 2"+ of positive ease anyway, so this wasn't too much of a change from usual.

I did make some minor adjustments to the overall pattern including lengthening the sleeves and body. I also opted not to do any decreases on the sleeves outside of the original few that made for an even cable pattern all the way around.


As far as the yarn is concerned, I am thrilled with my choice of Tosh DK, despite needing to do a ton of math with the new gauge. It's soft, light, warm and has the most beautiful drape. I also really love the Wash colorway. Wash is tricky though - it's mostly this light green with a slight blueish undertone, but there are definitely some patches of darker blue with a slight green undertone. Most of the skeins looked exactly the same from the outside, so it was tough to tell until the yarn had been knit that it had those darker patches. Those odd patches happened despite alternating skeins. Overall, I'm not too bothered by it, but I generally like to blend my skeins better than that. Oh well - adds character, right?


You can find more detailed notes on my gauge, yarn adjustments, and other modifications on my Ravelry project page.

I already have the yarn and pattern for a Tiny Rocky Coast, and I really do love tiny knits, so that might be next on my list. I need something small and quick after two big sweaters. Plus, how cute would it be if my daughter and I had matching sweaters? Super cute.

Project Details
Pattern: Rocky Coast Cardigan by Hannah Fettig
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh DK in Wash (discontinued May 2012)
Needles: US 6 (4mm), US 7(4.5mm), and US 8 (5mm)


Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jenn Pfeiffer 2012-2013. Powered by Blogger.
______________